The First Expansion of the Holy Mosque in Makkah

Date: 19/11/1955

The expansion of the Holy Mosque in Makkah started by King Saud ( may Allah bless his soul ) in 1956 , after he finished the expansion of the prophet's (PBUH) Mosque in Madinah Al Munawara , which started in 1953 . it was the first expansion in Saudi history. Before this expansion, the area of the Holy Mosque was about 28,000 sq.m. And the capacity of worshipers did not exceed 50,000. This expansion took approximately ten years to finish.